2023 CALL FOR ENTRIES: ASPIRING WRITER SCHOLARSHIP
The Nation’s largest reading group for women of color – Go On Girl! Book Club – invites you to write your way to a scholarship.
Founded in 1990, the Go On Girl! Book Club is a spirited group of women who love a good read and engage in lively literary discussions once a month. Across the country, we have more than 500 members who are committed to encouraging the literary pursuits of people of African descent. Since 1992, the organization has recognized notable authors with its coveted “Author of the Year” and “New Author of the Year” awards. Past honorees include Pearl Cleage, Bebe Moore Campbell, Daniel Black, Octavia Butler, and Marlon James.
Do you dream of seeing your scholarly achievements recognized alongside our literary giants? Apply now for the Go On Girl! Book Club’s $2,000 “Aspiring Writer” Scholarship.
The 2023 Scholarship Deadline is MAY 15, 2023.
- Candidate must be a US citizen or resident.
- Candidate must be a full-time freshman, sophomore, or junior at any historically Black College or University in the United States.
- Candidate must have a cumulative average of 2.5 or better.
- Candidate must submit a 500–1000 word essay on one of the following topics:
A ceramic plaque reads, “This is us, Our Life. Our story. Our Home.” Consider your own personal life experiences and describe what these words mean to you.
Below is the poem “I, Too” written by Langston Hughes and first published in 1925. Describe what you think Hughes is saying. Compare and contrast what he might say today about his/our place in America. When do you say or feel, ‘I, too, am America?’ Or, do you?
by Langston Hughes
I, too, sing America
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong
I’ll be at the table
When company comes
Say to me,
“Eat in the kitchen,”
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed—
I, too, am America
- Submissions should be double spaced and bear the title and author’s name and word count on the title page.
- In addition to your essay, you will be required to include an unofficial college transcript, your photo, and a short biographical sketch.
- We will accept Online submissions only at Apply for Aspiring Writers Scholarship by May 15, 2023.
The winner will be notified by May 31, 2023 and will be asked to give a short video acceptance speech. The winner’s essay may be featured in several print or online publications and on the GOG website.