Writing Awards & Scholarships
Since 2000, we have been fortunate and honored to also sponsor two additional awards, both monetary, to support up and coming authors: The Unpublished Writer's Award and The Aspiring Writers Educational Scholarship.
Call for Entries: Write Your Way to $500!
All Unpublished Writers & College Students: Submit your work to be considered for this year's Unpublished Writer's Award or Aspiring Writers Educational Scholarship.
Unpublished Writer Award: General Guidelines
- Applicant must mail four copies of an original, unpublished fiction work (short story or novel excerpt) not to exceed 2,000 typed words on double-spaced pages.
- Applicant must include a cover sheet with the following information: applicant's name, address, telephone number and e-mail where possible; 250-word biographical sketch, including your writing goals and current status.
- The $500 winner will be invited, along with a guest, to attend our annual awards ceremony and work may be featured in the Go On Girl! Quarterly newsletter and/or on our website.
Aspiring Writer Scholarship: General Guidelines
- Candidate must be a full-time sophomore or junior majoring in English, Literature, Journalism or a related area of study at a historically Black college or university.
- Candidate must possess a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or better
- Candidate must submit a 500-word essay on the topic "The Power of The Written Word"
- Candidate must mail two letters of recommendation: from a school administrator and another person of your choosing
- The $500 winner will be invited, along with a guest, to attend our annual awards ceremony and the winning essay may be featured in the Go On Girl! Quarterly newsletter and/or on our website.